Friday, April 4, 2008

Fina

I just happened to pick up the paper; it was about two days old, and I hadn't had time to read it. Richard and I were watching television and relaxing, and I saw the blurb: Puppy Raisers Needed. I quickly read it to Richard, and he said "sure, go ahead!" I ran up to my computer and dashed off an email within five minutes. Went to the first meeting, was totally blown away by the program and by Kramer (who is being raised by our regional coordinator, Barbara Byle and her husband Randy). I left the meeting so excited to get started.

Classes are held at Barbara and Randy's house, and it's 54 miles from my house. Each way. As usual, my timing is impeccable, with gas upwards of $3.20 per gallon. But really, I can't think of a better way to spend money. If I had a cup of starbucks coffee every day, or twice a day, it would be about $70 per week. So, I don't drink starbucks coffee and can afford to motor back and forth. Actually, I hate starbucks coffee.

So we completed the pre-placement classes, and then we got the sleepover puppy. Karleen came to our house, and we loved her.


Karleen is Kramer's sister, and almost as smart. I was in contact with Elaine, who is raising Karleen, over the weekend, and she was very reassuring with my many insecurities dealing with "her" dog. It was a hectic three days; Karleen was great, Mookie really enjoyed having someone to play with, and we got a little taste of what to expect. I was very sad to see her go, but glad that I have another puppy to keep track of in the future!

We officially became "parents" on April 3rd; we all gathered at Barbara and Randy's house on Thursday night and waited for the van full of puppies to arrive. Everyone was excited and nervous...we would have fit in well in one of those old movies where they show the expectant fathers pacing outside the delivery room. Finally, the van pulled up. They're here!

The back of the van opened and there were five of the most beautiful faces; four yellow and one black. Fina, Fabio, Holiday, Jewel and last but not least Elton, a big yellow boy.

Fina was a little bit overwhelmed by it all, but managed to eat her kibble. :)

She snoozed all the way home in her kennel, after a brief vocal session telling us she really didn't like being in the crate.

At home, she immediately loved Mookie, and Mookie returned the emotion. The cats, well, not so much. But the cats can have a say in all of this only if they get jobs and pay rent. Otherwise, they can keep their hissing and spitting to themselves.....


We're Getting Along!

She's home. And she's tired. Hallelujah! Must get some beauty sleep...going to meet the governor tomorrow!


No comments: